Below you will find Smoke Damage Emergency Tips for your reference. It is recommended that you become familiar with these tips. If a smoke damage were to occur, familiarity with these tips will help you respond appropriately.
Determine the Extent of the Damage:
1. What was the origin of the smoke/fire?
2. What areas and/or contents were affected?
3. Are there safety/health concerns? (Electrical outlets under water, child asthma, etc.)
• Do call a professional.
• Do clean and protect trim on faucet’s and other polished metal with a light coating of Vaseline or other oil.
• Do blow off or brush-vacuum loose smoke particles from upholstery, draperies and carpeting.
• Do open windows for ventilation.
• Do change furnace filters.
• Do empty freezer and refrigerator completely if electricity is off, and prop doors open with a rolled towel or newspaper for air circulation.
• Do spray clean plants with water on both sides of leaves.
• Do remove pets (especially birds) to a clean environment.
• Do not wipe or attempt to wash walls, ceilings or other absorbent surfaces.
• Do not use upholstered furniture if it can be avoided.
• Do not use exposed food items or canned goods that have been subjected to heat exposure.
• Do not use TV’s, stereos, or electrical appliances until cleaned & checked.
• Do not send smoke damaged garments to an ordinary dry cleaner.