1) Vacuum Regularly - vacuuming 3-5 times a week to helps keep dirt at bay and keeps your carpet from becoming dull and dingy.
2) Roll out the area rugs. Having area rugs in your home is a great way to add some personality to your home and decrease wear and tear in high traffic areas
3) Ditch the shoes but keep the socks on! Removing shoes in your home to reduce soiling is a great idea but remember to avoid bare feet on the carpet. Your skin deposits oil on the carpet and oil attracts soil. Instead, wear a pair of house slippers or keep your clean socks on while walking on the carpet.
4) Professionally clean carpets every 12-18 months. Regular professional cleanings will allow your carpets to last longer and improve the look and health of your home.
5) Ask for Scotchgard. After you have your carpets professionally cleaned, be sure and ask for Scotchgard protectant. Scotchgard is a spray on protectant applied after cleaning that repels dirt, resists water/liquid penetration and causes to spills to bead up on the surface of carpet/upholstery, making spills much easier to clean up and helps prevent staining.